ondragstart='return false' onselectstart='return false'>

© 2012 Jessie Kaufman. These photos and content are protected by US Copyright laws. It is unlawful to reproduce, publish, or edit this content without permission.

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Arroz Mexicano, Gringa Style


We eat lots of rice on our meatless adventure. Mexican rice to be exact. I can't get enough of it. Traditionally, Mexican rice is fried in oil, but I don't like doing that so I've switched it up a little bit.

Instead of buying Mexican-milled white rice which requires straining and soaking--I have zero patience--I buy parboiled rice. This magical rice is 80% nutritionally similar to brown rice, but it doesn't taste like you're eating wet popcorn.

Gringa Mexican rice will be a staple in many of the recipes you'll find on Living Mostly Meatless in the future. Try it out! And feel free to send thank you emails to livingmostlymeatless@gmail.com. :)

Arroz Mexicano, Gringa Style
3.5 cups of organic, free range chicken broth (you can sub vegetable broth)
1 small white onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup of salsa (I make my own, but if you're buying it I'd suggest something that is traditionally Mexican (something that isn't chunky.) Stick with a brand like La Preferida or Frontera and you'll be fine. If you don't want to buy salsa throw some tomatoes and mexican oregano in there.)
1.5 tbsp corn oil, separated
1.5 cups of parboiled rice
1 tsp salt

Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a medium sized sauce pan. Add onion and cook until it's translucent. Add garlic and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
Add broth and bring to a simmer.
Add rice, salsa, salt and bring to a rolling boil. Cover with a lid (do not skip the lid!) and reduce heat to low. Cook for 17 minutes. I know I'm crazy about my minute measurements, but they work.
After it's cooked, the liquid should be completely absorbed. Remove from heat but keep covered for an additional 5-10 minutes. Fluff with fork.
Eat with beans, by it self, throw some gyro meat or chicken on it, make burritos, just eat it. It's good.


Also. Pretend I'm not a professional food photographer. I used a lamp for this photo b/c I was too lazy to bring out the lights. It's late. Don't judge.

3 comments:

  1. Well I think it looks delicious! A lamp you say? I might need to try that! Murray and I have realized we love rice just as much as we love each other, and will try your gringa recipe later this week ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lamp with the ugly eco lights at that. :) I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! Looks good and sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete