ondragstart='return false' onselectstart='return false'>

© 2012 Jessie Kaufman. These photos and content are protected by US Copyright laws. It is unlawful to reproduce, publish, or edit this content without permission.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

No Knead Semolina Bread



I'm one of those people that just isn't a baker.  Up until a few months ago the only bread that I ever had success making was pizza dough, and I think that's in large part due to the stockpile of NYC water I have in my freezer. (Thanks Whitney!)

So, when I finally decided I'd had enough I tried the "foolproof" No Knead Method by Jim Lahey. Mark Bittman said any idiot could do it. I assure you, I am a bread idiot. I wasn't expecting much. Even after I opened the oven I had resigned to the fact that this wasn't going to turn out and I could go back to my bread self-depreciating ways, but it looked pretty good. I let it cool and cut it, still preparing for bread disaster in the form of taste and again was shocked. It resembled the bread down the street from the old Italian bakery near our old abode in Brooklyn that my husband and I were obsessed with.

I've since made 30+ loaves, with different variations. This one is my new favorite.

No Knead Semolina Bread
Adapted from Jim Lahey
Makes 1 loaf

2 cups of semolina flour
1 cup of all purpose flour
1/4 tsp of instant yeast
1.5 tsp of salt
1.5 cups of water


Throw everything but water into a bowl, mix, add water. Cover for 12-18 hours. I make mine after dinner and cook it in the morning.

Heat an oven with a covered dutch oven or similar dish to 500 degrees.

Flour a surface, lightly coat dough with flour and form a round loaf. Add to pan and cover.

Cook 30 minutes, remove lid, and cook an additional 15 minutes. Remove from oven and pan and let cool on wire wrack for at least 1 hour.

Cut and enjoy. Don't forget the butter!

I'm never buying bread again. Click the link above to watch the original video.


1 comment:

  1. I love this bread! I made it last night and baked it this morning. Oh my yum!!!

    ReplyDelete