ondragstart='return false' onselectstart='return false'>

© 2012 Jessie Kaufman. These photos and content are protected by US Copyright laws. It is unlawful to reproduce, publish, or edit this content without permission.

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Raw Coconut Lime Tart

© 2012 Jessie Kaufman


As I mentioned last week, I'm on a big time diet. I wanted to make something for breakfast that felt like a treat to eat. It wasn't long into my brainstorming that I remembered Danny, a client of mine. Danny and his wife have a raw restaurant in my hometown. I shot a book cover for them last summer and while waiting for the setup he insisted on feeding me pie. The pie he said, is dessert you can have for dinner. On their menu they even encourage parents to let their kids order dessert as an entree because it's that good for you. There's also many weight loss stories on their website that I've been inspired by so I'm trying to incorporate more raw food into my meatless days.


 I saw this last week on Vegan Yack Attack and bookmarked it. I am swimming in avocados right now and thought it'd be a great way to use them. (Did you know you can freeze ripe avocados, thaw them, and they retain their ripeness?)

Anyway, in order to get the dainty breakfast-dessert feeling that I was after for breakfast I decided to make this in a tart pan. I didn't have that many pepitas on hand so I added oats and sesame seeds, and I switched up the extract and the syrup a bit. 

I think you'll like it. It sort of tastes like lime, banana, and coconut pie. Definitely not the flavor that you'd expect. 

Raw Coconut Lime Tart
8 servings
adapted from Vegan Yack Attack

Crust
3/4 cup steel cut oats, not instant
1/4 cup pepitas
2 tbsp sesame seeds
1/2 cup cooking dates
1/2 tsp coconut extract
pinch of salt

Filling
1 cup kale leaves
1.5 cup avocado
4 tbsp dried coconut, unsweetened, more for dusting
1/2 cup cooking dates
1/2 cup cool water
3 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp lime zest
pinch of salt

In a food processor combine all crust ingredients until everything is incorporated. Press crust into the bottom of a 9 inch tart pan. 
Cover & freeze for 20 minutes.

In a food processor combine all filling ingredients. Pour into frozen crust and return to *freezer for four hours or overnight. 

Remove from freezer 15 minutes before serving. Dust coconut flakes on top.

*Some raw foodists believe that freezing is harmful and do not do it because it lowers enzyme levels in the foods.





12 comments:

  1. Love this! fancy fancy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really appreciate that you added the freezer disclaimer. I personally don't freeze things, but I know many raw foodists that do. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very different pie for me! And I had no idea that you could freeze avocados. I always thought they would thaw into a green mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just discovered this avocado trick. It's really amazing. My freezer is full!

      Delete
  4. Your version sounds terrific! I'm glad that you liked it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could go for this for breakfast, lunch, dinner...you get the picture!! It sounds amazing AND it's healthy. Win, win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just had some for second dinner. Still good! ;) Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. This looks really good, Jessie! I need to start eating more healthy foods....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel. I'm not sure your hubs would like this one. Mine definitely didn't. ;)

      Delete