ondragstart='return false' onselectstart='return false'>

© 2012 Jessie Kaufman. These photos and content are protected by US Copyright laws. It is unlawful to reproduce, publish, or edit this content without permission.

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Almond Milk


Remember how I said I didn't want to buy groceries because we're moving? Well, we ran out of milk on Monday and used up the powdered milk yesterday. I thought I should use up the almonds today.

I don't know about you, but I'd happily give up milk for almond milk for the rest of my life. I love the nutty flavor it lends to everything. And the chocolate. YUM! This stuff is a dreamy in your coffee. You can scale this recipe accordingly, or add a couple tbsp of cocoa for a chocolate version.



Almond Milk
soak overnight
10 minutes blending & straining time
makes 8 cups

2 cups unsalted almonds
1/3 cup dates
8 cups water
2 tsp vanilla


Add the almonds to a medium bowl, cover them with water and soak overnight. Once soaked, strain the almonds, add them to a blender with the water. Blend for about two minutes. It'll start to froth like milk. Add the vanilla and dates. Blend for another minute. Using a small mesh strainer pour your almond mixture into pitcher. 

Refrigerate and enjoy. This can be used immediately.

Btw, the leftover almonds from when you stain can still be used. I plan on using mine to encrust some fish for dinner. 

7 comments:

  1. I love homemade almond milk, I think it tastes like a milkshake! I haven't made it with dates yet though, must try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. less sugar, right? That's what I'm telling myself :)

      Delete
  2. I hate the taste (and smell!) of dairy milk, so I never drink it--I'm totally with you on switching to the almond version! I love the idea of adding dates to it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. love almond milk too - have never made my own!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too. It's so much more cost effective! I love it bu can't afford to splurge all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking about making almond milk just for fun. I am so excited to see your fun blog:-) I love that you will not buy anything because of your move. Makes sense to me:-) I agree, I could drink almond milk all the time, I adore it! Hugs, Terra

    ReplyDelete