ondragstart='return false' onselectstart='return false'>

© 2012 Jessie Kaufman. These photos and content are protected by US Copyright laws. It is unlawful to reproduce, publish, or edit this content without permission.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Hibiscus Agua Fresca (Agua de Jamaica)

I'm guest posting over at Cooking With Books today, so if you'd like the recipe click this link.

For this post I wanted to share something near and dear to me. The first time I had this drink I was on my honeymoon. I asked a lady at the spa how to make it and when we came home I walked a few blocks to the Mexican grocery store, bought some dried hibiscus, and it's been a staple in our house ever since. It is really is good and refreshing, but my favorite part is that hibiscus is so good for you.

This recipe is an agua fresca. Literally translated: fresh water, agua fresca's are Mexico's version of fruit punch. They all start with one ingredient. It can be seeds, fruits, or in this case, flowers. They are then steeped sort of like a tea in boiling water, sugar, and sometimes added spices. If you've ever visited Mexico it's likely that you've seen stands where people are selling their versions of agua fresca. Tamarind is another favorite.

3 comments:

  1. Disabling right click is incredibly annoying, and does nothing to protect anything on your site. All it does is inconvenience your users.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you are inconvenienced. I see no reason to right click anything on my site though, especially this post. Everything is still printable via the browser print button.

      Delete
  2. I've never tried hibiscus tea but I wonder why many people are into it. Guess it's because of its sweet taste? I'll probably will try it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete