ondragstart='return false' onselectstart='return false'>

© 2012 Jessie Kaufman. These photos and content are protected by US Copyright laws. It is unlawful to reproduce, publish, or edit this content without permission.

Monday, June 4, 2012

Guest Post: Quick & Painless Jambalaya

My friend Rachael is doing a blog post this week because I'm moving and all of my camera equipment is packed up.

I've known Rachael for 10+ years and if you're a fan of mine, you'll likely be a fan of hers. Rachael is a new mom and blogs about her experiences. If you're a mommy looking for support or just need someone to relate to, check out Rachael's blog here. For this post, Rachael made a Jambalaya. I remember the first time she told me she was going to make it. I am a big fan of anything spicy. This sounds fantastic, does it?

-Jessie
You can also follow Rachael on Twitter here.
~~~~~~~
Quick & Painless Jambalaya by Rachael Kelley
Photo by Rachael Kelley
The first time I made this recipe, I was sure my husband would hate it. You see, he's a very picky eater, and the only ingredient he will admit to liking is the rice. Since that first time, I've been lucky to see leftovers the next day. I took some shortcuts and sneaky cheats to avoid obvious things he claimed to hate like onions, tomatoes & green peppers, and still managed to come up with a flavorful weeknight meal.
This makes a fairly mild/medium hot batch so feel free to add more hot sauce, cajun seasoning or spicier meats to suit your taste.


Quick & Painless Jambalaya

2 TBSP olive oil
1 lb Sausage (andouille, kielbasa, other 'hot' variety), sliced
1 cup chopped sweet onion (about 1 small)
2-3 chopped green onions
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
2 TBSP tomato paste
1 TBSP minced garlic
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp "Cajun Seasoning" (I used Emeril's Bayou Blast)
1/2 tsp Louisiana Hot Sauce
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups uncooked Minute Brown Rice

Optional
1 shredded chicken breast
1/2 lb shrimp, peeled & deveined 
In a large pot, or dutch oven, heat oil over medium high heat. Add sausage and sweet onion & saute for 3-4 minutes. Add green onion and red peppers, cook until just tender, about 1-2 additional minutes. Add all remaining seasonings and spices, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Add rice, cover and reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. (If you're going to use shrimp, add it in after 10 minutes to prevent over-cooking.) Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes uncovered. Serves 4

2 comments:

  1. Jessie make sure to rest a little, moving wears me out, LOL! What a fun, easy recipe! My hubby loves jambalaya, he would enjoy this recipe:-) Hugs, Terra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rice is one of my favorite things, duh, so this is right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete