ondragstart='return false' onselectstart='return false'>

© 2012 Jessie Kaufman. These photos and content are protected by US Copyright laws. It is unlawful to reproduce, publish, or edit this content without permission.

Monday, June 11, 2012

Guest Post: Toasted Sesame Seed Hummus


I'm excited to have Miriam from Tales of an Overtime Cook guest posting today. I met Miriam through twitter and through our extensive knowledge of photography. My favorite part of Miram's blog is that everything is kosher. I feel like everytime a holiday comes around I never know what to cook or how to cook it and now- I can just hop on over to Tales of an Overtime Cook. Of course- kosher cooking is just an added bonus, you can this way all year round. Doesn't this recipe look awesome? I could live off hummus. 

-Jessie
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
photo by Tales of an Overtime Cook
Hi everyone, I'm Miriam from Tales of an Overtime Cook. I'm excited and somewhat intimidated to by guest posting here while Jessie is moving. I am excited because I love this blog, and Jessie's recipes inspire me to want to cook healthier. (Despite what you might think from the overwhelming number of dessert recipes I post, I really do try to eat healthy as much as possible!) I say I am intimidated because Jessie's pictures are breathtakingly beautiful, and I am a novice photographer, so my pictures don't exactly compare to hers! I hope I can compensate by sharing my absolute favorite food. Oh, and the best part? It's totally healthy and vegetarian!

Let me tell you the back story. I once read an article by Anthony Bourdain about how his TV show came about. For those who don't know, he travels around the world, eating some really odd food along with the land's natives. He explained that he initially planned to create a show about good food, and was going to travel to the fanciest restaurants on this planet and document the good eats they serve. Then he realized that the best and most memorable meal a person had isn't always the fanciest and most expensive. 
Photo by Tales of an Overtime Cook
That idea totally hit home. I have been to a couple of really nice restaurants in my life, eaten some superbly prepared, multi-course holiday meals, dined at events catered by some of the fanciest caterer's, and yet, when you ask me about the best meal I ever ate, I instantly know it wasn't any of those. No, the best meal I ever ate was at a little hole in the wall in the Israeli city of Tzefat. The shop was tiny, dark and very crowded, but to this day, my mouth waters when I think of the meal I ate there. I had a plate covered in a thick layer of the freshest hummus I ever had, topped with a couple of fresh-out-of-the-fryer falafel balls. The freshly baked pita and israeli salad were on a separate plate. The hummus was so fresh, so wondrously thick, yet creamy, all at the same time, that I just can't get it out of my head. 

I've tried pretty much every brand of hummus I have come across since then, but none of them come close to that delicious meal I had in Tzefat. American commercialized hummus is such a world apart from the fresh, home made israeli variety, that it just won't satisfy my hummus cravings anymore. So I set out to make my own. It took me a while to get the taste and texture right, but I think I finally got it. It may not be quite as good as the hummus I had back then (after a couple of years, it's hard to remember!) but this is worlds above the packaged stuff, and I finally stopped wishing I could get on a plane and fly to Israel every time a craving hits!

Photo by Tales of an Overtime Cook


Toasted Sesame Seed Hummus:
Ingredients:
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1 clove garlic
2 cans chickpeas, drained
1/2 cup tahini paste 
juice of 1 lemon (about 3 Tablespoons)
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon cumin
Instructions:
To toast sesame seeds: (optional) Preheat oven to 350. Pour the sesame seeds into a small baking pan and bake for 8-12 minutes, until light golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
To prepare the hummus: In the bowl of a food processor, fitted with the "s" blade, mince the garlic. Add the remaining ingredients (except for the sesame seeds) and puree until almost smooth, but leave a bit of texture. (If you prefer a very smooth hummus, blend it a bit more.) Remove hummus from food processor and place in a bowl. Stir in the toasted sesame seeds, reserving a few for garnish. 
Enjoy!

Note: The sesame seeds add a delicious taste, as well as a textural element to the hummus. You can leave it out if your like yours smoother.

I hope you love this Hummus as much as I do! And place stop by my blog for some more fun recipes!

1 comment:

  1. It is really a nice and helpful piece of information. I’m happy that you shared this useful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.sesame seeds

    ReplyDelete