ondragstart='return false' onselectstart='return false'>

© 2012 Jessie Kaufman. These photos and content are protected by US Copyright laws. It is unlawful to reproduce, publish, or edit this content without permission.

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Vegetarian Biscuits & Gravy


I don't know what it is about the hottest morning in the summer but I always crave biscuits and gravy. Hot food, hot weather, and cold orange juice just work in the morning. 

There is literally no meat in my house and there hasn't been for at least a week. I'm pretty happy about that. I can feel pants getting looser, and even though it's hot, my wedding ring is starting to feel loose. Hallelujah, right?

I didn't want to ruin all of my progress this morning by eating saturated fat and salt laden sausage so  I decided to come up with a veggie alternative. I'm happy to report that I've been cooking veggie enough that I'm comfortable adapting anything without using any processed junk or soy.

Full disclosure: My husband did not like this gravy. I'm learning that his most hated veggie food is almond milk, so this is probably why. We bought store bought biscuits from TJ's. 


Vegetarian Biscuits & Gravy
serves 4
12 minutes

1 package of biscuits- or make your own
2 tbsp diced red onion
3 tbsp diced mushroom
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup almond milk
1-2 tbsp flour- depending on how thick you want it
1/2 tbsp sage
salt & pepper to taste

Preheat the oven and cook your biscuits. In a saute pan, add butter mushrooms and onion. cook on low until onions start to brown, about 5-7 minutes. Add the flour and mix. It should form something that resembles a paste. Add your almond milk, sage. Stir and bring heat up to high. Cook for 2 minutes, while stirring. It should thicken up rather quickly. Lower heat and add your salt & pepper to taste. 

Let me know if you try and like this. I thought it was great, I'm a big fan of sage and almond milk though.



4 comments:

  1. See I love love almond milk, so I am loving this recipe:-) Anything healthy sounds perfect to me! Hugs, Terra

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you for posting this! I had vegetarian biscuits and gravy while on vacation once and I've wanted to recreate the dish ever since. But even the vegetarian versions I've found look fairy unhealthy and they use meat subs, which I try to avoid. I'm definitely going to try your version!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good! I can't wait to try it, thank you for creating an alternative that isn't fatty and artery clogging!

    ReplyDelete